TryHackMe Write-Up: Mindgames

Introduction

This is my write up for TryHackMe's Mindgames Room.

Enumeration

Nmap scan shows that both HTTP and SSH are running. 


Looking at the webpage, I see what looks like BrainF*ck encrypted text.

Going to dcode.fr, I see that decoding the "Hello, World" code results to a simple Python print statement.


And that the "Fibonacci" code is Python code that prints out the Fibonacci Sequence:


If that being the case, then it might be possible to inject code! 

Exploitation

Through some trial-and error, I was able to check the current running directory.  I'm not sure but 1-liner Python code seems to be easier.


The above results to:

 
Encoding the following line:


I was able to get a shell.


Privilege Escalation

Running linpeas.sh, I find that openssl has cap_setuid.


Checking GTFOBins, it turns out that loading a library onto openssl can be used for privilege escalation.


A Google search brought me to the following OpenSSL Blog

It basically describes how to write and build your own OpenSSL engine!

So then, I wrote the following code:


And then compiled it as follows:


Sending it over to the target machine and loading it as shown in GTFOBins, I was able to gain root access.


No comments:

Post a Comment